Our Mission & Guiding Principles
Our Mission is - "to support, educate, and advocate until there is a cure for severe and persistent mental illness."
NAMI Delaware is a statewide organization of families, mental health consumers, friends, and professionals dedicated to improving the quality of life for those affected by life-changing brain diseases such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression. The organization achieves improvement by:
- Providing support and coping strategies to families and individuals dealing with mental illness;
- Promoting and delivering educational opportunities to improve the quality of life and to eliminate stigma;
- Advocating to assure adequate in-patient and community-based mental health services for all Delawareans afflicted with serious mental illness. This continuum of advocacy takes place at three interdependent levels:
- Identifying and advocating for the needs of an individual,
- Identifying and advocating at the grass roots level for specific issues broadly impacting the organization's stakeholders,
- Identifying and advocating for systemic improvements to the delivery of care and services.
- Developing a variety of safe, affordable quality housing opportunities for persons with serious mental illness;
- Supporting research to unlock the mysteries still surrounding these brain diseases.
NAMI Delaware’s members, staff, and volunteers are dedicated to excel at achieving the organization’s purpose and mission by adhering to the Guiding Principles listed below:
- Persons with Serious Mental Illness: We will ensure that our first and highest priority remains advocating for health, welfare, and quality of life issues for all Delawareans afflicted with a severe and persistent mental illness.
- Family Members: We will support family members by developing and providing resources, programs, and a caring environment that enable family members to better understand and cope with the problems and realities of severe and persistent mental illness.
- Education: We will create and sustain an environment in which the organization and its membership continually grow and learn about severe and persistent mental illness and effectively transfer our knowledge to others.
- Advocacy: We will advocate for the needs of individuals, for specific issues, and for systemic improvements.
- Volunteers: We will foster a grass roots approach to help accomplish NAMI Delaware’s Mission by nurturing and empowering a strong volunteer network.
- Teamwork: We will operate with basic trust and respect for the individual and will work with all stakeholders in a committed and cohesive manner toward common goals.
- Valuing Personal Uniqueness: We will recognize and value each person’s uniqueness, and treat each other with dignity, respect, and fairness.
- Ethical Behavior: We will conduct business with uncompromising integrity.
- Standards: We will be committed to maintaining the highest of standards in all our activities and expect the same from those with whom we do business.
- General Public: We will establish in the “greater community” an awareness of our mission and, thereby, gain acceptance and support of our programs and objectives.
Current NAMI Delaware By-Laws
- By-Law Update 10/16/13: Click Here to view the NAMI Delaware By-Laws!